Due: November 30, 2020
In December 2020, the Wallace Foundation is exploring issuing a Request for Proposals (RFP) to a select group of researchers for one or more studies related to an initiative aimed at building Equity Centered Principal Pipelines. This initiative will fund a group of 6-10 large school districts, serving high needs schools, to partner with universities to develop equity-centered pipelines, including principal preparation programs. Associated research studies could include:
- Ethnographic studies documenting district equity goals, strategies, and change processes and/or the nature of equity-centered leadership
- Implementation studies describing the design and enactment of equity-centered principal pipelines, and conducting exploratory work related to student and other outcomes
- Assessment tool development related to creating a valid and reliable tool for measuring equity-centered leadership
- Other possible studies
Proposals submitted in response to the RFP are likely to be due mid-February, 2021, with work beginning in late spring. Studies are expected to be multi-year and multi-site and range in funding from $500,000 to $3,000,000 or more.
Request for Qualifications
In order to expand the pool of researchers who will receive the RFP(s) in December of 2020, the foundation is issuing this Request for Qualifications.
We are seeking to expand our current network of outstanding research grantees by identifying accomplished researchers/research teams with demonstrated experience and expertise in both education leadership and equity. Researchers should have a strong record of publications explicitly addressing equity in education leadership. They should also have extensive experience working closely with school districts and staff within school districts. Finally, they should have the organizational capacity to conduct multi-site, multi-year studies, as well as collaborating with other research teams.
We invite researchers and scholars who meet the above criteria to submit, by November 30, 2020, (1) a Word or PDF document with your responses to the questions below and (2) a copy of your CV. Please send documents and/or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please limit your response to each of the following items to less than 200 words:
- How does equity-centered school leadership figure in your research agenda? What kinds of questions or issues have you researched?
- What do you see as key research questions for developing and supporting equity centered leaders in large school districts in the United States?
- Can you describe your previous collaborations with district leaders?
- What theoretical frameworks, methodologies, and methods do you typically use in your work and why?
- Please describe the organizational capacity you have available to support your research efforts (e.g. administrative, analytical, technical, and research).
Background on the Wallace Foundation
The Wallace Foundation is a nationwide philanthropy based in New York City whose mission is to foster equity and improvements in learning and enrichment for young people and the vitality of the arts for everyone. We identify important knowledge gaps in our areas of interest, support the field to develop and test promising ideas to narrow those gaps, and then broadly share what’s been learned to inform those who can effect beneficial change. We value and seek diverse research perspectives and lived experiences.